Monday, November 12, 2012

State of Grace, State of Grades, State of Mississippi

"This is a state of grace
This is a worth while fight"
-Taylor Swift, State of Grace

Hellllllo!   It has been quite some time since I have had a chance to write.  Yes, I am alive.  Yes, I am still sane.  Yes, I'm still glad I'm here.  No, I still don't know what the heck I'm doing some times.  No, I still don't understand why a kid cries every two minutes over the silly things like not having a purple crayon or the extra clothespin in his/her center bag.  No, I still don't know why the chicken crossed the road.  (hahaha.. get it-- because the joke always has a different answer!  Okay, so maybe me and my corny jokes have just never liked that particular joke.)  Either way, I'm back to update quickly, as usual.

I'm four days shy of having a week-long break.  Let me just say for a minute that it is absolutley superkalafragilistic expealidocious!  I absolutley can not WAIT.  I know several of you are waiting to know if I am coming home.  I know it is short notice, but until I know what is on my country club check Friday- I don't know whether or not I'll be home.  Unfortunately this is my last month, hopefully, of playing catch-up on moving expenses before starting an actual savings account again, along with Christmas and the traveling that will come with that as well.

On another note-I'm getting the kindergarten lifestyle down a little more each day.  I've discovered the wonderful world of the white lies...like secret spy cameras, and the spectacular sticker craze that every child posseses.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to the "special stickers."  hahaha... they work wonders. 

I should have a million things to say, but I am honestly just keeping one thing in my mind-and that is my break coming up in four days... ha.  We haven't had a day off of school since Labor Day and started school much earlier than schools in North Carolina.. August 6th. Soooo this break is all that I'm thinking of until it gets here.

I'm still in between about the decision to apply to work at Institute this summer or to be off for the summer, while keeping my job at the Country Club.  Both have wonderful things about the them, so we will see.

The above lyrics are of course coming from my favorite person ever- Taylor Swift.  They are from one of her new songs on her new album.  "This is a state of grace, this is a worth while fight."  I absolutely couldn't put what I'm doing into words any better.  Anyone can look at where I'm teaching, what I'm teaching, or who I am teaching and say good and bad things, but all it really comes down to is the fact that it's a "fight" every day.  Yet, in each of these kids is the need to be loved, cared about, and taught something.  So many of them carry a burden of things some of us have never had to deal with and cover themselves up with a hard cover.  Uncovering that, even in my little kids is my goal.  They need to know they are worth it, that they too can be anything they want, and can go anywhere and do anything.  I spend a good chunk of my mornings giving out hugs and asking the same questions every day. "How are you?" "Did you have a good night?" "You ready to learn today?" "What are your grades like?" "How about that attitude?"  So many times they aren't even my students, and so many times there are a million and two other things I could be doing with that time in the morning.  Then, I remember that, hey, Amy, take a minute and give it away, that question may be the one thing they need.  Maybe not, but for some reason they keep coming back to hear it.  So long story short- this is a worth while fight.

I think it helps that I have come from a background of different things too.  I worked through college, and even after college didn't do what I went to school for.  I think having that to look back on helps me realize that I am where I need to be.  As much as I hated some of those long days of school followed by a long night of work, I think it has given me the drive and experience to share with the people I'm meeting down here.  I can relate, and show that things are possible, so long as you want what you are after. 

I'm in the right place for now, struggles or not.  I hope to talk to you all soon! 

Oh and I think I mentioned it on Facebook- but a continual thank you goes out to everyone.  Your thoughts, prayers, letters, postcards, packages, and support continue to make me smile and make my days better.  THANK YOU =)

 

1 comment:

  1. They are learning so much from you even as you learn from them. Every child needs to know that someone cares and you certainly do. I can't begin to tell you how proud of you I am. What you're doing is not easy, but oh so worthwhile! Can't wait to see you...Thanksgiving or Christmas, either one will be wonderful!
    Love you forever! XOXO Nana

    ReplyDelete